. . .

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

That seawall over there

It's not even just the ocean that I love.  Of course the salty waves are great and to be without them feels like I am trapped in a little box and the walls are closing in on me, but I feel it necessary to note how specifically fantastic the Okinawan seawalls are, and what a loss it feels like to move so far away from them.  I got curious and ended up looking through all of my photos just to see exactly how many memories I have at this place... there's a lot.

If anything I regret not taking more pictures there--why did we never get bear/lion suit shots there, Sarah??  The lighting always did such great things, especially on overcast days.  I loved just laying out on the cement jacks and getting my tan on, no need to worry about sand.  I loved swimming out to those giant poles in the middle of the water and nearly drowning every time, but always getting the courage to climb up those rusty barnacle-clad rungs and then jump off into the water.  I loved the constant herds of cats that would emerge from the oblivion as soon as we whipped out even a morsel of food.  I loved the herds of school girls and the old people doing their exercises and stretches as they walked.  If I could go on a trip back here and only be allowed to go to the seawall the entire time, I wouldn't even be disappointed.  It has been that much of my Okinawa experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment